Saturday, November 19, 2005

It's Official.....Colts are my NFL team.....

It’s now official. My NFL team is now the Indianapolis Colts. Having spent most of my life growing up in Michigan, I’ve had the misfortune of having the Detroit Lions as my NFL team. Over the years I’ve probably attended about 15-20 Lions games; all at the Silverdome. As any long-suffering Lions fan knows, there have been very few great Lion moments over the past 30-some years. There were some bright spots like a few playoff appearances, the occasional Thanksgiving Day victory and of course the Barry Sanders era, but that was about it.

In my lifetime, I have watched 3 of the Detroit professional teams claim a league championship: Red Wings (1997, 1998, and 2002), Tigers (1984) and Pistons (1989, 1990 and 2004). The Lions have never won a Super Bowl nor have they ever played in a Super Bowl. Over the years one of their biggest problems is that they have never had a quality quarterback that was a leader. The list of Lion QB hopefuls that never panned out is endless…..Chuck Long, Andre Ware, Scott Mitchell, Rodney Peete, Charlie Batch, Mike McMahon, Charlie Batch, Joey Harrington…are some that come to mind.

Since moving to Indiana in 2000, I have followed the Indianapolis Colts and I have been to about 4 or 5 of their games. While doing this, I always kept a close tab on what the Lions were doing and I rooted for them. But now, I have jumped on the Colts bandwagon!

How can you not love a team that has Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James? Manning is the QB that the Lions wished they would have had all those years. He is an amazing QB and leader on the field. The Colts are already 10-0 and appear ready to claim a Super Bowl XL title, which ironically will be played at Ford Field, home of the Lions.

I haven’t completely given up on the Lions, and I’m sure that I’ll jump back on their bandwagon once they ever get a decent team again, but for now it’s the Colts baby!!!

No comments: