Monday, January 30, 2006

Update on Dad

It has been almost 4 weeks since my dad had his heart attack. We’ve been up to Michigan every weekend since he had the attack. I’m pleased to say that he is doing better. He is off the respirator and is breathing on his own.
The doctors say his progress will be slow, but we are thankful for any progress we can get. My mother is holding up fairly well, but I know at times she is overwhelmed by everything. She just wants him to come home from the hospital quickly.

Dad has a hard time talking because his vocal cords are swollen from the respirator. They put dad in a cardio chair for about 3 hours each day so he isn’t on his back all the time. He says it hurts when he is in the chair and he doesn’t like it. I’m afraid that he is getting depressed about his current state, but that is expected.

It is hard to see someone who prior to the heart attack was fairly healthy and strong to be in such a weak state. He is fortunate to even be alive at this point, so God has given him a second chance.

Genesys Hospital has an email service where you can email patients. Last week I sent him an email to cheer him up and to give him words of encouragement. He did receive the email and my mom read it to him. Here is the text of my email:

Hi Dad,

I can’t tell you how pleased I am that you are able to sit up and open your eyes. You really had us scared the last few weeks. You have been through quite an ordeal and it will take some time to get you back on your feet.

I pray that you do not become discouraged. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be for you to have to be in the hospital, but remember that every day you will continue to improve. I was so good to hear your voice on Saturday. I could barely hear you, but it made me feel good nonetheless.

It is hard to be away from you while you recover. Even though we are 250 miles away, Christie, Gannon, Grant, Gibson and I think of you all the time and are praying for your quick recovery.

I am proud to call you my father and I’m thankful for everything you have done for me. The boys can’t wait for you to take them fishing again and to tell them deer hunting stories.

Never forget that we all love you very much and God loves you even more than we do.

"And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."
James 5:15-16

Continue to be strong and you will be well on your way to recovery. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Sending much love your way,

Bryan