Saturday, December 10, 2005

Buck #2

As I previously noted, last year I was not successful in getting a deer during hunting season. Well this year I got my 2nd buck in 3 years of hunting. Again, I was hunting on Aunt Marilyn’s property with my friend Jeff.

When I saw the deer, I couldn’t tell if it was a doe or a small buck, but that didn’t matter. I took 1 shot and it took off running. I took a 2nd shot while it was on the run, and I could see that it fell down.

When I walked up to the deer, I was surprised at how small it was. I jokingly thought that I had shot a large German Shepherd. It was much smaller than the one I got 2 years ago. It didn’t have any visible antlers, just two small button nubs on its head. It was a very small antlerless buck. I didn’t even bother to take photo of it as I didn’t think it would be very manly to take a photo with a puny buck like this.

Yesterday I got my processed deer back from the butcher shop. There were only 3 grocery bags of meat. My previous deer filled up about 7 or 8 bags. Since I didn’t get a photo of the actual un-butchered buck, I decided to spread the packaged venison meat on the garage floor and take a photo of my bounty. The photo above left, shows the amount of meat generated by a 1st year buck.

Today for lunch, I grilled some venison steaks for myself, Gannon, Grant and Gibson. Christie isn't quite ready to eat deer meat yet, but she will come around. Although the thermometer said it was 19 degrees, I cooked the venison on the grill outside. (see photo above) Who says it has to be summer to grill outside? All of us agreed that the venison steaks were awesome. Hungry?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »